Pages

Tuesday 29 November 2011

The now possible


The now possible is passing.
New loves learned have burned
my heart and start a panic here
that old, old fears force fallen tears
from these still knowing eyes.

The 'whys' should have received
an answer long ago.
For though I’ve grown,
I’ve not forever known
that it would end in slow decline,
which leaves me space and time
to pine the passing of those
youthful days of praise.

Who says that life begins,
reflect, that this neglect by time
allows more feeling and more rhyme
than fading flesh can fairly bare.
And where’s the compensation
we were promised from the
pastures of our youth?

To tell the truth
is no bad thing,
But, I’m glad the lies
did not pre-empt
the lessons learned,
And did not tempt the truth
to dawn, prior to the passion.

Fashion may have changed
as I have ranged among
the unsung stories
of your separate souls.
But he that was, and I who am,
Unlike the lion and the lamb,
can never lie together now.
The end’s been tried,
 and circumscribed,
 by death.

© James Rainsford 2011




Note to readers: Posted as my contribution to Open Link Night at dVerse Poets on 29th November. Your views are welcome. Please click on the comments tab below. I'll try to respond to all who visit here.
Kind regards to all at dVerse Poets, James.

13 comments:

  1. nice...love that last little bit with the lion and lamb not laying down together...and the circumcision...also the knowing you were glad the truth did not come before the passion...nice one james..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lies and truth such a thin line inbetween sometimes, especailly with want lies beyond. But more rhyme can never do any wrong..haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of your very best, James--at least for me. I feel that 'she who was and she who is' deeply most days, and still I think "I'm getting old," not "I *am* old!" esp liked this one, too:
    "...I’m glad the lies
    did not pre-empt
    the lessons learned,
    And did not tempt the truth
    to dawn, prior to the passion..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the wisdom and truth of this piece--and for me this piece just kept getting better and better--I loved the last stanza--

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the last two verses, James. Truth and lies...sometimes hard to tell which one, and when to best say it.

    Lovely share ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. James, these are great lines...Unlike the lion and the lamb,
    can never lie together now.
    The end’s been tried,
    and circumscribed,
    by death. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a masterpiece James! I love your work, it always speaks to me from the depths of a poet wise enough to make his work understandable as well as exquisite. It is delightful work I can fully appreciate, and never cease to be overjoyed by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a moving and beautiful poem, James. Beautifully crafted, drawing the eye and heart down the page-- I especially liked:

    To tell the truth
    is no bad thing,
    But, I’m glad the lies
    did not pre-empt
    the lessons learned,
    And did not tempt the truth
    to dawn, prior to the passion.

    xxxj

    ReplyDelete
  9. A thoroughly enjoyable through a playground of words and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your words absolutely drip with the truth of realizations of our world that we are all coming to confront. Sad and haunting lines, dear James...but a fantastically wicked flow. Brilliant weave, Poet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm gonna be noodling on this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite part was the same as Hedgewitch's. So good. Oh, and also the part about the promised compensation from the pastures of our youth...great stuff. I often feel like we aren't prepared for the reality of adulthood. And, then, boom, it smacks us all in the face when we realize it is often much less than the stuff of our youthful dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you write with such richness in allusion,
    and luxury of language, I am impressed.
    Lovely piece here. (as have been the two other poems I've read by you.)

    this piece has such rich meanings and powerful word choice & combinations. Where does one begin, when this poem is ending? yes, the now possible is passing.

    very good job.

    ReplyDelete

If you wish your views and opinions to be published here, please be polite and respectful. I welcome feedback on my work and will try to respond if you take the trouble to post a comment. Thanks for visiting 'The Sanctum of Sanity.' Hope you enjoyed the experience, James.