Pages

Wednesday 13 May 2020


The Corona Moaner


I have not clapped for carers,
Nor banged a saucepan with a spoon,
I’ve not dressed in forties clothing
To perform a war-time tune,
I’ve not confused our nurses
With angels from above,
Nor walked a garden marathon
To demonstrate my love,
I’ve not delivered food parcels
To those in desperate straits,
Neither have I gone on-line
To share my victimhood with mates,
I’ve never joined a virtual queue
To obtain my medication,
Nor shown enormous gratitude
For the efforts of the nation,
I haven’t posted videos
Of my exercise routine,
Nor been confused by all the rules
And what they all may mean,
I’ve not busted out of lockdown
To prove my tough credentials,
Nor have I hoarded toilet rolls
Or other specified essentials,
I’ve not sought out celebrities
Performing ditties from their bed,
Demonstrating their desire
To prove they are not dead,
I’ve not enjoyed the spectacle
Of dim journos seeking fame,
By asking stupid questions
Designed to allocate some blame.

Yet, even though no noble deeds
Have marked my passage though the gloom,
I’ve been sustained by spring’s desire
To wake, grow, bud and bloom,
Proving time's indifference to all our current strife,
Yet, giving us good reason to love and value life.



Copyright: James Rainsford, May 2020

4 comments:

  1. Nice sounding lines: "Yet, even though no noble deeds
    Have marked my passage though the gloom,"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented recently the birds still find something to sing about! This is a thoughtful poem, telling it like it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you indybev. Your comments are appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I think it comes down to the ability to just "be". We are not a very patient society, always needed to analyze, blame, control, and fix. Sometimes we just have to wait.

    ReplyDelete

If you wish your views and opinions to be published here, please be polite and respectful. I welcome feedback on my work and will try to respond if you take the trouble to post a comment. Thanks for visiting 'The Sanctum of Sanity.' Hope you enjoyed the experience, James.